Experience Adelaide’s Separated Bikeway Designs This Saturday

frome

This Saturday from 9am – 11am, is your chance to experience and learn about Adelaide City Council’s design concepts for the completion of the north-south and east-west separated bikeways.

Adelaide City Council is going all out to make sure that it gets its bikeways right. Over the next two years, north-south and east-west bikeways will be designed and constructed throughout Adelaide’s CBD.

As part of ongoing consultations to complete the Frome Street bikeway, Adelaide City Council have built replicas of three design options for completing this work.

The Lord Mayor Martin Haese has stressed to the media that “we have a massive vested interest in getting it right in Adelaide!”

Have your say and test out the new bikeways

Now’s the perfect time for you to have your say, and tell Council what you think about the new designs. You’ll be able to see and ride each of the three design options for yourself.

Head down to the parklands this Saturday from 9am – 11am and test it out. There will be coffee and breakfast at the site (while stock lasts) and activities for children. The Adelaide City Bikeways Team will be there to hear your thoughts and design suggestions for the bikeways.

Event Location

You can experience the real scale model of some of the bikeway design ideas at the bikeways trial site off ANZAC Highway, opposite the netball courts.

screen-shot-2016-12-06-at-11-02-56-am-copy

Want more info? Get in touch with the City Bikeways team at citybikeways@adelaidecitycouncil.com or call 8203 7203 and ask for the Bikeways Tea,.

23 Comments. Leave new

Must say, I like the Frome St separate cycle way but it can be extremely slow when you get stopped at every set of lights. Can we look at synchronised light changes for the major bike arterial routes? In theory, this shouldn’t slow cars up but would speed up bikes.

“many signal corridors in the Denmark capital are already timed for bicycle “green waves”—a series of lights synchronized so riders don’t hit a red if they maintain a certain speed. For cyclists going at least 20 km an hour (12 mph) through Nørrebrogade, Østerbrogade, and Amagerbrograde, for instance, everything’s coming up green. Of course a green wave can be phased for any travel mode, but Copenhagen wants bikes ahead of the pack.”

I have had many close calls and eventually got knocked off not long ago riding along this particular cycleway. Fortunately I anticipated the left turn and the damage was minimal, but I felt great sympathy for the driver having to deal with this experiment. Motorists are unsure of the rules surrounding this strip whereas they are familiar with the normal bike lanes (or lack of them) around the city.

I ride 1,000s of k’s a year and found crossing the Nullarbor less dangerous than this strip of road.

In my opinion it should be returned to dual lane for motor vehicles, cyclists are safer and more easily seen if they are part of traffic. You’ll be seen more easily if you are a few feet away instead of the separated bike lane.

Just my thoughts.

Certainly not my thoughts Andrew. The rule for left turning motorists is clear. Bike lanes are far more dangerous for cyclists than separated bike lanes. I would like to see the FS bikeway extended to Nth Adelaide and another East- West.

Sorry Andrew i cant agree either. I was hit by a truck in a parallel bike lane on a beautiful clear morning, wearing a hi vis jacket and flashing front and rear lights. I hope for lots of separated bike ways along major highways in the hope no one else has to go through what I have had to endure as a result.

The Frome street separate cycle way is very disappointing. I have had a number of near misses as many motorists seem angry and/or confused. 2 of my kids cycle to uni occasionally but the cycle way disappears by rundle street / north terrace just when the traffic is at its busiest.

Pulteney Street and Hutts Street are much better streets to cycle on when heading North-South. Nice wide bike lanes and you seem to get less red lights than Frome.

Maybe it would work better if Frome was a one-way street

As a regional based citizen and a cyclists who regularly rides on 100kph roads my recent experience Frome Rd from a drivers perspective is this is bloody dangerous. Who was the ding bat who thought having parking bays between the cycle lane and vehicle lane was a good idea. I would think it was done like this on purpose to show that cycle lanes don’t work. As another commented it should have been left dual lane or put the parking on the kerb and moved the bike lane to the right of this so that vehicles could see up and coming cyclists not have to try and pick up cyclists through parked cars especially like SUVs and 4wds. Turning left off Frome Rd is an accident waiting to happen.

The Frome St cycle way correct in principle to separate vulnerable users. To extend to the University seems safe and sensible.
Right turn filters for cars and left turn warnings for car drivers to increase awareness of cyclists is evolutionary as a new system to many.

The Council’s overwhelmingly positive Independent Evaluation of the Frome Bikeway recommended some in-expensive safety treatments at intersections. These have not been completed. Check out the Evaluation here
Also the Super Tuesday counts show that 42% of Frome Bikeway users are women, whereas other city streets average 27% women cyclists. I’m sure if older cyclists were counted they would also be on the Bikeway in numbers. Council also has a permanent counter on Frome – it shows motor vehicle traffic keeps declining – cycle traffic keeps going up. So not everyone might value those 630 metres but it is generally very successful. Imagine if it continued through to North Adelaide!

I really like the Frome Road cycleway – in fact it is the one thing that has got me riding in the city, something I have never done before. I use it mainly on weekends but enjoy the separation from the traffic. Of course, having it end like it does is not helpful. I regularly use separated cycle paths now and have also learnt to use the cycle lanes (although I avoid the city during peak hour traffic).

I use the Frome St bikeway always to go in to the city, and left at Pirie St, so much nicer than Pulteney St and buses! Yes the lights should be synchronised but it is no more stop start than Pulteney. To go home though it is too slow to get onto, until i get to Halifax St, which is a good option because the south end of Pulteney as you come to South Tce is so dangerous, with cars merging into the left lane.
Not much thought or review has gone into the new bike/pedestrian crossing on Greenhill Rd, once again not synched well to the traffic flow on Greenhill. It appears the implementers don’t actually ride bike the route (several times) for themselves.

I cycle Salisbury to city every day. Used Frome Rd a few times to get between zoo to South Tce but after several near misses with dodging parked cars opening their doors and buses pulling out in of me now avoid it totally. BTW I am a 62 year old female who has only taken up cycling a year ago. Hackney Road scary, Frome Rd no good, King William St no good, Pulteney St not bad if you can avoid buses but now using bikeway that runs along west Terrace. This is very good, smooth, no overhanging branches and free flowing with only a couple of traffic lights. A row of parked cars between you and the flowing traffic makes it very hard for me to see the traffic’s intentions and I’,m sure hard for cars to see me.

Robert Britain
December 7, 2016 3:13 am

Having previously worked on Greenhill Road where I could take quiet backstreets to work, I have to confess for me, Frome St bikeway’s complete separation from the traffic is the reason I now feel safe to ride into work in the CBD. I have as many cars not see me or turn across me on quiet backstreets through Unley and Parkside as I do on Frome St (maybe a once a fortnight occurrence). It is about being a perceptive and aware cyclist. My view this is a generational thing – we as Adelaide drivers are still getting used to spotting cyclists when we turn left or right but are all getting better at it, especially as more and more cyclists feel safe to take to the road.

Incidentally as a driver, I prefer a separate bikeway so I dont have to worry about the 1m rule!

I like the Frome Street bikeway. I feel at ease on t he road there whilst still watchful. It would be a very silly move to remove it and is infinitely better than the terrifying, discontinuous ,timed bike lanes elsewhere

If only Magill road heading WEST from Maid and Magpie could have a bike lane …how good would that be!

Er, there is no Magill Rd west of the Maid. Do you mean North Tce? That stretch of road is terrifying to cycle, and I use the footpath or backstreets of Kent Town more than I dare use the actual road.

As a cyclist I’ve never riden the FS bikeway but as a driver I feel the parking between the road and the bikeway obscures vision of cyclists using it. With drivers that aren’t cyclist aware I can see their left turns across the bikeway causing accidents.

“This Saturday from 9am – 11am, is your chance to experience and learn about Adelaide City Council’s design concepts for the completion of the north-south and east-west separated bikeways.”
I would have thought it should be more like 2 weeks , not 2 hours.

Agreed. I couldn’t go Saturday.

Simionato Perinato
December 9, 2016 3:01 am

It amazes me how the City can spend so much money on creating new pathways that seem to have both positive and negative consequences. I’ll admit, I hate the separation as it makes it hard to identify movement of both vehicles and bicycles (for the other party). The most worrying feedback I seem to be reading, is that even riders who have positive comments to say about this separation, indicates that the cyclist needs to remain aware of their environment as they are likely to encounter a motorist whom is unaware. This is preposterous; as until we can be confident enough to send our children along the bikeway – then it is just money down the drain. Spend the money on the well used (but neglected) paths along the Torrens (they are relatively dangerous for pedestrians) and just continue to increase the bikeway creation along all significant roads.

If they (governments, state and local) think they can build a tramway to the airport why the **** can’t they build some decent bike lanes that don’t suddenly disappear?

I ride to work every day along the Frome Street bikeway. During the first few months after it became operational I was almost hit several times by cars turning left into me. However, I am now very careful and give way to any car turning left that may not have seen me even if I’m right next to the driver. Overall, I feel no safer on the Frome Street bikeway than any street in the city with a clearly marked bike lane. Wearing fluorescent bike clothes and backpack covers and having bright flashing lights at all times remains a necessary additional safeguard.

The Frome st bikeway is actually more dangerous. I have seen what you have experienced (and got it on camera) plus there is the potential for collisions with higher impact speed compared to the typical attempt to overtake and turn left. There are also occasions where neither party can see the other till the last moment because of parked cars.

The Frome st experiment is a failure as far as I’m concerned.

As both a motorist and a cyclist, the sooner they get rid of those concrete tank traps down Frome the better. The City Administration learnt nothing from its waste of other people’s money in Sturt Street. Flat cycleways/lanes with no wheel impediments and clear lines of sight for motorists and cyclists – simple, inexpensive, safe, tried and tested in cycling cities.